Thursday, April 8, 2010

Good Customer Service

Customer Service is a really touchy issue with me.  Since I've worked in the public arena (yes, I was a clerk at the Department of Motor Vehicles and no, I did not sell my soul to Satan), I really understand how it works and how difficult the job can be.  However, I also understand that you should treat each customer with respect and a smile, because they have no idea how many big, bad, mean and scary customers you've had before them, or that your boss made you scrub aisle three with a toothbrush.  They only know they are handing over money for a service or a product, and that they want that item to be worth what they're paying.  They don't want to have to stand in line for an hour, they don't want to overpay, and they don't want to look at a clerk who should moonlight as a drill sergeant. 

First, let me say that I am not being paid to write this.  I've not been given anything free, and the company I am writing about will probably never read this.  But I'm all about reviews and sharing the dirt with you guys, so I figured I'd let you in on what happened.  I placed an order with Amazon last week.  Since it was all teething items for my baby, I have been anxiously awaiting the package while trying not to pull out my hair.  The problem is, one of the items I ordered was not available through the supplying merchant.  While my order previously fell under the free shipping category, since one item was not available, it dropped my overall total down and then I did not qualify for free shipping.  The shipping price shot my total back up, even though one item was removed.  I was pretty upset and couldn't do anything about it, since Amazon had already started processing the other items for shipment.  I didn't call or email them, since I felt there was nothing that could be done, but I was a little annoyed.

This morning, I woke up to find that Amazon had found this little discrepancy on their own and refunded the shipping price back to my debit card.  They saw exactly what happened, and even though my order was technically not enough for the free shipping, my original order was, and they felt it should be refunded.

So how awesome is that?  I fell in love with their low prices and because so many items qualify for free shipping with just a $25 minimum purchase.  But today I fell in love with their customer service and if everything goes right, you can expect a June wedding.  I'm ordering the rings from Amazon.

No comments: